The San Antonio Missions scratched out three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to beat the Iowa Cubs 4-3 on Tuesday at Wolff Stadium.
The Missions got the job done in the final inning without a longball or extra-base hit. They put together two singles, a walk, a sacrifice fly and a run-scoring ground ball.
(Cubs lead 3-1 going into bottom of the 9th)
– Nate Orf singles.
– Troy Stokes Jr. walks. Orf goes to second.
– Jacob Nottingham singles. Orf scores. Stokes goes to second. (Cubs lead 3-2)
– Lucas Erceg pinch-hits.
– Wild pitch. Stokes goes to third. Nottingham goes to second.
– Erceg sacrifice flies to right field. Stokes scores. Nottingham goes to third. (score tied 3-3)
– Trent Grisham chops a grounder to first. Nottingham slides and beats the throw at the plate for the winning run (Missions win 4-3).
The Missions’ other run scored on a solo home run by Hernan Perez in the fourth inning.